NUMBERS TO KNOW
Police Departments (throughout Wilkes County) 9-1-1
SAFE's 24-hour Confidential Crisis Line (336) 838-SAFE (838-7233)
National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) toll free
National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-HOPE (8255) toll free
National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline 1-866-331-9474 toll free
National Suicide Prevention Helpline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) toll free
The area code for all phone numbers listed below is 336 unless stated otherwise.
- BROC (Blue Ridge Opportunity Commission), 667-7174. Provides financial assistance to clients to prevent eviction notices, disconnection of power and fuel. Also assists with prescription medicines, food and other emergency services.
- Care Connection, 667-2273. Free information and referral service helps people in need find local help.
- Wilkes Department of Social Services (DSS), 651-7400. Food stamps, Medicaid, child support enforcement, TANF assistance for domestic violence victims.
- Salvation Army, 838-1145. Emergency utility, rent and mortgage assistance.
- Samaritan's Kitchen, 838-5331. Food pantry, backpack food assistance program for children.
- Wilkes Circles of Care, 838-0977. A collaborative effort between adults who are committed to getting out of poverty and community members willing to help them.
- Wilkes Ministry of HOPE, 903-1414. Food pantry, Christmas toy store, other programs.
CHILD CARE & PARENTING RESOURCES
- Wilkes Child Care Resource and Referral Service, 838-0977. Search by location for child care providers. Directory includes centers, home providers, More at Four and Head Start programs.
- Head Start, 667-7174. Free pre-school program for young children from low income families.
- Our House, 667-5555. Offers free Love & Logic parenting classes and free supervised visitation services.
- Parent to Parent, (866) 812-3122. Information, individual and group support for parents of special needs children. Offers The Incredible Years, a parenting class for parents of exceptional children, weekly at Wilkes Family Central.
- Nurturing Families parenting program, (336) 838-1060. Offered mornings and evenings at Wilkes Family Central.
- CareNet Counseling of Wilkes, 667-1644. Faith-based counseling services.
- Daymark Recovery Services, 667-5151.
- Daymark Crisis Management, 838-9936 or (877) 492-2785. 24-7 response to acute, immediate, nonmedical crisis.
- Wilkes County Health Department, 651-7450. Provides comprehensive health services including WIC, a food assistance program for women, infants and children.
- Wilkes Regional Medical Center, 651-7800. Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner on call for victims of sexual assault.
- Wilkes Public Health Dental Clinic, 903-9399. A full service dental practice for clients using Medicaid or N.C. Health Choice.
- Catherine H. Barber Memorial Homeless Shelter, 838-7120. Provides temporary overnight shelter and one hot meal a day for individuals and families who are homeless.
- Northwestern Regional Housing Authority, 667-8979. Manages Cub Creek Apartments, provides Section 8 rental assistance, housing counseling and other services.
- North Wilkesboro Public Housing, 667-3203.
- Wilkes Clerk of Court’s Office, 651-4400.
- District Attorney’s Office, 651-4410. (23rd Judicial District: Wilkes, Alleghany, Ashe and Yadkin Counties)
- Legal Aid of North Carolina, (866) 219-5262 (LANC) toll-free. Free divorce and child custody clinics.
- Wilkes Magistrate’s Office, 651-4419.
- WomensLaw website
- Rosen Law Firm website. Excellent information about all facets of family law.
- Survivor to Survivor. North Carolina specific videos on protective orders, civil and criminal protections.
SELF HELP PROGRAMS
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
CHATS & MESSAGE BOARDS
- After Silence. Message board and chat room for rape, sexual assault and sexual abuse survivors.
- Love Is Respect: National Teen Dating Helpline. Real time, one-on-one support from trained advocates.
- On Your Mind. Safe, anonymous place for teens to get support from other teens.
- Pandora's Project. Offers online peer support to victims of rape, sexual assault and sexual abuse.
- Rhiannon3.net. Message board and chats for domestic violence survivors.
- Yes I Can. Facilitated, scheduled chat sessions on a variety of topics, including domestic violence, child abuse and parenting.